This space welcomes individuals of all backgrounds, identifications, experiences, cultures + ancestries. To protect and uphold this intention, we ask that all community participants familiarize themselves with the following community agreements when gathering and participating in group discussions:
- REFRAIN FROM BLAMING OR SHAMING SELF & OTHERS We practice giving skillful feedback and not performing quality control on another’s expressions, or our own, understanding that powerful emotions can arise as a shout, a stammer, a cry; and that these expressions, too, deserve space and care.
- TAKING SPACE, MAKING SPACE We encourage full participation by all present, knowing that courage takes different forms for each of us. Take note of who is speaking and who is not. If you tend to speak often, consider “tuning in” through mindful listening. If you tend to rest in silence, consider “making space” by sharing your experience.
- PRACTICE MINDFUL LISTENING: Try to avoid planning what you’ll say as you listen to others. Be willing to be surprised, to learn something new. Listen with your whole self.
- HONOR INTIMACY, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY We do not share the names or personal stories of anyone other than ourselves, now or later. If we want to follow up with anyone regarding something they said in community, we ask first and respect their wishes.
- RIGHT TO PASS: You can say “I pass” if you don’t wish to speak.
- PRACTICE SELF FOCUS: Attend to and speak about your own experiences and responses. Do not speak for a whole group or express assumptions about the experience of others.
- ASSUME NONE, BE ONE We do not assume the race, class, gender, sexuality, or ability of anyone else. We have the individual option to share pronouns, and we will collectively respect pronouns.
- TRY IT ON: Be willing to “try on” new ideas, or ways of doing things that might not be what you prefer or are familiar with.
- ANONYMITY, PRIVACY, & SAFETY: The love and respect we offer is a reflection of the love and respect offer ourselves. If anyone feels unsafe at any point, please contact me directly, or anyone with whom you feel safe sharing this information. This is not meant to replace the responsibility we each have to set, communicate, and maintain our own healthy boundaries.
Adapted from: Agreements for Multicultural Interactions at EBMC & ACA Agreements